Protect Your Eyes
Despite the fact that more Canadians have age-related macular degeneration (AMD) than breast cancer, prostate cancer, Parkinson’s or Alzheimer’s combined, 70% of people have never heard of it.
- AMD is the leading cause of severe irreversible vision loss in adults over 50, affecting one million Canadians.
- Even though people over 50 years of age are encouraged to have an eye examination at least every 2 years, 40% of people fail to follow this advice and 11% never have their vision checked.1
- The number of people with AMD is expected to double in the next 25 years.
- Nearly 80% of AMD patients have substantial, irreversible vision loss at first diagnosis, leading to greatly reduced quality of life.
It doesn’t have to be that way. Knowledge is power. It may help you in the long run.
1. AMD Alliance International 1999